4 Eye Creams Worth the Money
Oftentimes people ask me what the point of eye cream is. Why can't we just apply moisturizer to the face? What's so special about eye cream? I asked this question of Peter Thomas Roth back in the day, during a trip to New York Fashion Week. During a meeting with him and his Director of Marketing, we discussed the challenge of explaining the importance of eye cream and he essentially broke it down to the difference between the skin on your hands. The top of the hand is thin, gentle (and generally soft) skin, whereas the back of your hand is meant for grabbing items and being used so the skin is rougher. Think of my hands as they're super messed up from gymnastics movements at the gym. How you treat the top and bottom of your hands is the difference between skin over your face, versus the under eye area.
I like to apply an eye cream at night, after I've fully cleansed my skin. Pea sized amount between your pinkies or ring fingers is more than enough. Tap gently and go from the inner eye to the outside. Do your best not to tug or pull the skin. It's a gentle tapping motion. A little goes a long way, as this thin area doesn't need a lot of product.
So when it comes to the eye creams worth the $$? Let's dive into each of the recommendations we've tried and tested on this end.
The Hydrating One
The Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado is one of the best formulations which I like to recommend to almost everyone. No matter what skin type you have, this is definitely a great option. Not only is it rich, but it really helps hydrate skin, while substantially reducing puffiness.
1. Inclusion of Avocado Oil provides lipids with omega essential fatty acids.
2. Beta-Carotene is an antioxidant that protects skin from damage. This also helps with Vitamin A production (keep in mind Vitamin A is retinol so this will in turn help with anti-aging.)
3. Shea Butter for hydration retention and a generally hydrating formula.
4. This can also be used as an under eye mask by applying a thick layer under the eye for 10 minutes. Apply a substantial amount to really coat the skin, and then gently remove excess after 10 minutes.
5. This formulation is paraben, fragrance, silicone, mineral oil, and synthetic dye-free. We love to see it.
The Caffeinated One
The INKEY List Caffeine Eye Cream is an affordable option that gives the under-eye a little TLC. It's the best option if you're balling on a budget. It may not have the same concentration as other eye creams, but it's perfect for those just starting out with eye creams. Not to mention the caffeine helps to lessen the darkness under the eyes.
1. This formula is super lightweight and also blends beautifully into the skin.
2. Caffeine works hard to reduce under eye puffiness, as well as the darkness under the eyes. Something about caffeine really
3. It contains Matrixyl 3000™ which is a peptide used to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
4. Hot tip for this one would be to put it in the fridge before using it. Gives a really nice cooling effect.
The Anti-Aging One
Josie Maran never gets enough hype but the Josie Maran Argan Pro-Retinol Eye Cream is a fab option because it is really the perfect formulation. Not too thick, and also not super lightweight.
1. Contains a safe amount of Retinol which helps firm the under eye area. Retinol is super effective when it comes to anti-aging and can help diminish fine lines and wrinkles over time. It could potentially really help with crows feet or any minor development of it.
2. This is a special formula and contains pink algae as a source of vitamin A. Essentially this is double the retinol, or Vitamin A.
3. 100% Pure Argan Oil provides a good amount of hydration.
4. Cruelty free, synthetic fragrance free, paraben free, and sulfate free for the win.
The Brightening One
The fresh Black Tea Firming and De-Puffing Eye Cream works extremely well when it comes to brightening the under-eye area and giving that intense boost of hydration.
1. This formula uses a black tea complex to better skin's elasticity. It contains black tea extract, black tea ferment, blackberry leaf extract, and lychee seed extract.
2. It also contains Noni fruit juice as a method of hydration. Noni is a small evergreen tree found in the Pacific Islands, Southeast Asia, Australia, and India that has substantial hydrating properties.
3. Going hand in hand with the fact that the formula is so hydrating, it is fast absorbing and doesn't require a lot of blending (really tapping) into the skin. Win win.